Established Family Lawyer Offers Personalized Representation to Clients Throughout Mecklenburg County
Supportive NC attorney strives for the best possible solution for your legal concerns
At the law office of Susan V. Thomas, P.C., I am proud to offer family law services from my Cornelius office to clients throughout Mecklenburg, North Carolina. With 30 years of experience handling complex family law matters, I have the skill and insight to help you get the resolutions you need to move forward with confidence and hope for the future.
Tailored legal representation designed to address all aspects of the divorce process
The decision to end your marriage is often a difficult one, but the legal process of divorce doesn’t have to be. I offer the detailed and personalized representation you need to address all aspects of your divorce proceedings, including:
- Child custody — Few issues are more emotionally charged than the question of child custody. Balancing your rights as a parent with your child’s best interests can be difficult. I offer the advice and guidance you need to set realistic goals and pursue effective child custody arrangements.
- Child support — North Carolina child support orders are determined first by using a formula based on a number of factors, including the income of both parents and the costs of raising the child. Unfortunately, understanding the formula and exceptions to it can be difficult. I offer the advice you need to understand how child support is determined, and which added factors should be considered during the process.
- Alimony — Spouses who sacrifice their career, education or training to care for their family may be eligible for alimony following a divorce. I help you understand the state’s alimony laws and your eligibility for post-divorce support.
- Divorce mediation — Couples who are on good terms may wish to explore divorce mediation, a collaborative process in which both parties are able to offer input on key issues, including child custody, support, alimony and more. I offer advice on the mediation process and help you determine whether it is right for you.
Throughout your divorce proceedings, I am available to help you address your worries, answer your questions and listen to your concerns.
Experienced advice on all family law issues
There are many legal issues that have the potential to impact your family’s future. I offer advice on a wide range of family law issues, including:
- Prenuptial and post-nuptial agreements — To protect key assets or wealth before you get married or during your marriage, you may want to consider a prenuptial or post-nuptial agreement. I offer advice on the benefits of creating such agreements and guide couples through the process.
- Visitation rights — In North Carolina, several factors affect a noncustodial parent’s visitation rights, including a history of domestic violence and substance abuse. I offer advice on the various factors that may impact your visitation rights and explain your options for pursuing time with your children.
- Paternity — The legal establishment of a child’s paternity is required for a parent to pursue custody, support or benefits from many state programs. I help mothers and fathers navigate the process of establishing legal paternity.
- Name changes — The process of legally changing your name after a marriage or divorce can be complicated and time-consuming. I offer step-by-step guidance to make this process as efficient as possible.
Whatever your specific family law matter, I work diligently to provide the skilled and caring guidance you need to obtain a swift and favorable resolution.
Contact an experienced Cornelius, NC family law attorney
At the law firm of Susan V. Thomas, P.C., I have spent 30 years representing families throughout Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. My knowledge of the law, legal strategies, and area judges and courts allows me to provide the insightful guidance you need to pursue resolutions to even the most complex family law issues. To discuss your unique family law concerns, contact me online or call my Cornelius office at 704-765-4242 today to schedule an appointment.